How does stress affect the workplace?

Aila Accad
Aila Accad on behalf of Sigma Nursing
Nursing
The U.S. Bureau of Labor estimates stress costs U.S. businesses $300 billion annually in lost productivity, absenteeism, accidents, employee turnover and medical costs. "Attitudes In The American Workplace VI" Gallup Poll found that:
  • 80% of workers feel stress on the job and nearly half say they need help in learning how to manage stress.
  • 42% say their coworkers need such help.
  • 14% felt like striking a coworker in the past year, but didn't.
  • 25% felt like screaming or shouting because of job stress.
  • 10% are concerned about an individual at work they fear could become violent.
  • 9% are aware of an assault or violent act in their workplace.
  • 18% had experienced some sort of threat or verbal intimidation in the past year.

Continue Learning about Stress

3 Telltale Signs That You’re Burned Out
3 Telltale Signs That You’re Burned Out
Hard work is valued in every culture. But due to our well-intentioned zeal to “do it all” and “have it all,” many of us are living well beyond our str...
What are causes of stress for high school students?
Dr. Michele BorbaDr. Michele Borba
Every year, more and more pressures regarding classes, getting into the right college (or deciding i...
I Deleted My Instagram—Plus 7 Other Things That Calmed Me Down
I Deleted My Instagram—Plus 7 Other Things That Calmed Me DownI Deleted My Instagram—Plus 7 Other Things That Calmed Me DownI Deleted My Instagram—Plus 7 Other Things That Calmed Me DownI Deleted My Instagram—Plus 7 Other Things That Calmed Me Down
I never realized how anxious I was until my phone analyzed the stress in my voice. My life in New York City is seemingly perfect. I have a job doing w...
As a Mom, How Can I Find Time to Exercise?