How does stress affect the brain?

Dr. Kathleen Hall
Preventive Medicine
Dr. Amy F.T. Arnsten of Yale Medical School reported research showing that when individuals experience uncontrolled stress, an enzyme in the brain called protein kinase C activates, thus causing impairment in the short term memory and other functions in the executive decision part of the brain, the prefrontal cortex.
A Life in Balance: Nourishing the Four Roots of True Happiness

Nautilus Book Awards Winners for 2007 (category: Self-Help/Psychology/ Personal Growth) "Like many people, Kathleen Hall found that despite great success and material wealth, she had yet to identify...

Continue Learning about Stress

5 Ways to Reduce Stress
5 Ways to Reduce Stress
A good night's sleep, great sex, and maybe a different mother-in-law. Yep. Great stress busters. But when you need to reduce stress fast, try the foll...
What causes stress during bereavement?
Michael E. Hirsch, MDMichael E. Hirsch, MD
Stress can skyrocket during bereavement. The massive adjustments to change demanded of you can repea...
8 Stress Relief Tricks ER Doctors Swear By
8 Stress Relief Tricks ER Doctors Swear By8 Stress Relief Tricks ER Doctors Swear By8 Stress Relief Tricks ER Doctors Swear By8 Stress Relief Tricks ER Doctors Swear By
Try these expert-approved tips the next time you're feeling overwhelmed.
As a Mom, How Can I Find Time to Exercise?