How can I reduce stress while I quit smoking?

Frank T. Leone, MD
Pulmonary Disease
Many smokers worry that they will not be able to handle stress if they quit smoking. The truth is that smokers’ level of stress is actually higher than the stress of a nonsmoker. You actually only smoke for a short time during the day. During this time, you may feel relaxed. However, soon you need another cigarette. The anticipation of not smoking between cigarettes causes stress to go up between cigarettes. This means that smokers tend to experience slightly above average levels of daily stress. To help deal with the stress, try to take a short break a few times a day. Allow yourself a luxury. Take a walk, stretch, read or visit a friend.

Continue Learning about Stress

Practicing Yoga to Enjoy a Perfect You
Practicing Yoga to Enjoy a Perfect You
Photo Credit: Leo Prieto, via Flickr Creative Commons Imagine if you started your yoga practice with the idea that you don’t need fixing; that you ar...
What is acute stress?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
Acute stress is anything you perceive as an immediate threat. Acute stress is your normal mental...
7 Ways Stress Can Harm Your Body
7 Ways Stress Can Harm Your Body7 Ways Stress Can Harm Your Body7 Ways Stress Can Harm Your Body7 Ways Stress Can Harm Your Body
Stress isn't just bad for your mental health—it can harm your physical health as well. Learn how, plus smart strategies to help you take control.
Expert Tips on Stress Reduction
Expert Tips on Stress Reduction