How can I reduce my stress during my commute?

Dr. Kathleen Hall
Preventive Medicine
Your commute is a good time to listen to stress-reducing music. Be gentle to your ears, and choose what you listen to mindfully. Talk radio and top 40 radio, with their brash announcers and harsh advertisements, can over-stimulate you, increasing your anxiety level. Instead, explore the restorative power of music. Psychologists have long heralded the power of a person's favorite music to calm the emotions and relieve stress. Find what works for you and give yourself the gift of music that truly nourishes your mind, body and soul. Whether you are on a bus, train, car or airport, you can calm yourself by listening to beautiful music on a compact disc (CD) or tape player with earphones.
Alter Your Life: Overbooked? Overworked? Overwhelmed?

Themes like “I just don’t have time” and “I’m exhausted” rule our lives today. We are overbooked, overworked and overwhelmed. Just getting done what must be done fills our days. The...
Bad day at work? Use commuting time for stress reduction. Here are some ways to unwind and relax:
  • Get into music or listen to audio books that inform and entertain.
  • Take an orange, mango, lemon, or even a rose or some basil with you into the car. Their scents contain linalool, which helps induce calm.
  • When stuck in traffic, practice progressive relaxation: tense muscles in your feet, then relax them. Continue to work your way up to your shoulders and hands.

Continue Learning about Stress

Feeling Sad? Let the Tears Flow
Feeling Sad? Let the Tears Flow
In a recent group support session, an active and generous participant choked up with emotion as she spoke of the anniversary of her husband’s passing....
What factors indicate my general health?
Riverside Community HospitalRiverside Community Hospital
To assess your general health, you could consider your body mass index (BMI), waist circumference (W...
5 Surprising Ways You Are Stressing Yourself Out
5 Surprising Ways You Are Stressing Yourself Out5 Surprising Ways You Are Stressing Yourself Out5 Surprising Ways You Are Stressing Yourself Out5 Surprising Ways You Are Stressing Yourself Out
Stress is a normal part of life—but some is within your control. Find out which habits—an unhealthy diet, skimping on sleep—cause stress overload. Str...
Expert Tips on Stress Reduction
Expert Tips on Stress Reduction