How can I prevent my stress from harming my child?

If you feel like harming your child, it may be best to walk away from the situation until you calm down. However, in the long run, for the health of you and your child, learning some relaxation techniques and coping mechanisms will help you to deal with stress and reduce your stress levels. Speak to your family doctor for further advice and a referral to counseling.
Kynthia James
Critical Care Nursing

Stress unfortunately is a normal part of living and it is important that we learn healthy ways of dealing with stress. It is important that you do not make spontaneous decisions when you are stressful, take a minute to calm down the think over the issue. It is important that you do not react without thinking. That is the behavior that can potentially lead to harming your child. 

Bob Livingstone
Marriage & Family Therapy
First of all, we live in very stressful times, so it is impossible to prevent your stress from having an impact on your child. You can do your best to minimize the effect that your anguish has on your kids. This can be done by: 1. Not sharing personal or work issues that may make your child feel insecure. 2. Only share this important information if you plan to make a major decision that will affect your child. 3. Make sure that you eat right, sleep enough and get enough exercise. 4. Talk about your stress with your partner or trusted friends. It is important to express your feelings about what is going on with you. 5. Ask yourself an emotional pain question about what is bothering you and journal those thoughts/feelings.

Children often take their cues from their parents, so during stressful times it’s important for parents to remain calm for their children’s sake.  It’s OK to let your child know when you’re worried, but if you model appropriate reactions to stress, your child will feel more secure and will learn how to remain in control even during difficult times. Studies have shown that in traumatic circumstances such as wars or earthquakes, children most often cope as well or as poorly as their parents. A parent who overreacts in stressful situations may instigate their children’s irrational fears. Also, during stressful times, children need love and affection more than ever.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Stress

My Commute Made Me a Stress Monster—Here's How I Fixed It
I used to swear a lot. Specifically, I swore a lot last year, when my daily commute started chipping away at my sanity. Each morning, I would roll i...
How is stress diagnosed?
There is no specific test to diagnose stress. Typically, your healthcare professional conducts a var...
5 Ways Your Job May Be Hurting Your Health
5 Ways Your Job May Be Hurting Your Health5 Ways Your Job May Be Hurting Your Health5 Ways Your Job May Be Hurting Your Health5 Ways Your Job May Be Hurting Your Health
Find out how working too much can make you sick – and what you can do.
Is Stress Linked to Heart Disease?
Is Stress Linked to Heart Disease?