How can I prevent my stress from harming my child?

Kynthia James
Critical Care Nursing

Stress unfortunately is a normal part of living and it is important that we learn healthy ways of dealing with stress. It is important that you do not make spontaneous decisions when you are stressful, take a minute to calm down the think over the issue. It is important that you do not react without thinking. That is the behavior that can potentially lead to harming your child. 

If you feel like harming your child, it may be best to walk away from the situation until you calm down. However, in the long run, for the health of you and your child, learning some relaxation techniques and coping mechanisms will help you to deal with stress and reduce your stress levels. Speak to your family doctor for further advice and a referral to counseling.

Children often take their cues from their parents, so during stressful times it’s important for parents to remain calm for their children’s sake.  It’s OK to let your child know when you’re worried, but if you model appropriate reactions to stress, your child will feel more secure and will learn how to remain in control even during difficult times. Studies have shown that in traumatic circumstances such as wars or earthquakes, children most often cope as well or as poorly as their parents. A parent who overreacts in stressful situations may instigate their children’s irrational fears. Also, during stressful times, children need love and affection more than ever.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Stress

Don’t Let Work Stress Take a Toll on Your Body
Comic vaudevillian George Burns lived to be 100 by following his own advice: “If you ask what is the single most important key to longevity, I would h...
Become Immune to Stress with This Mantra
"I'm good enough, I'm smart enough and, gosh darn it, people like me." Turns out a positive mantra like this is no joke. It might even be key to stayi...
Why City Dwellers Need a Stress-busting Dose of Nature
The 1988 movie The Great Outdoors is a slapstick tale about a series of disasters that befall a family getaway planned by Chet (John Candy) and his br...
How Does Stress Affect Us at the Molecular Level?