How can I plan for the future without worrying?

Elizabeth Lombardo, PhD
Physical Therapy
You can plan for the future without worrying by taking the steps you need to plan for a threat, without the excessive emotional reaction. Watch clinical psychologist Elizabeth Lombardo, PhD, explain how to keep worries from getting out of control.
Worry is a learned mental habit. Daily conversations and media speculations about possible disasters reinforce worry.

Your mental stress increases to the extent that you engage in worrisome conversations and feed your mind negative speculation about a future you cannot control. Energy tied up in worry is not available to make wise productive choices in this moment. You have the power to influence the future through choices you make today. You can harness and use your mind’s fascination with the future by envisioning the future you want, rather than the future you fear.

Fill your mind with images of a desired future and use your mind to plan the steps to achieve that future. This gives you a blueprint upon which you can make purposeful and enjoyable choices today that can influence desired outcomes tomorrow.

You can influence the direction of your future by choosing the images you feed your mind today. Choose what you want, rather than worrying about what you don’t want. This increases your happiness and reduces your stress.

Continue Learning about Stress

The Power of a Pause to Improve Your Work and Life
We set up our itinerary so we could see and do as much as possible in eight days. I kept feeling like I was seeing everything, but nothing was being a...
How powerful are ancient stress management techniques?
Alice DomarAlice Domar
It depends on how you use them! A lot of what we now teach under the umbrella of modern and effectiv...
7 Ways Stress Can Harm Your Body
7 Ways Stress Can Harm Your Body7 Ways Stress Can Harm Your Body7 Ways Stress Can Harm Your Body7 Ways Stress Can Harm Your Body
Stress isn't just bad for your mental health—it can harm your physical health as well. Learn how, plus smart strategies to help you take control.
Is Emotional Eating a Common Issue for Men?