How can I plan for the future without worrying?

Aila Accad
Aila Accad on behalf of Sigma Nursing
Nursing
Worry is a learned mental habit. Daily conversations and media speculations about possible disasters reinforce worry.

Your mental stress increases to the extent that you engage in worrisome conversations and feed your mind negative speculation about a future you cannot control. Energy tied up in worry is not available to make wise productive choices in this moment. You have the power to influence the future through choices you make today. You can harness and use your mind’s fascination with the future by envisioning the future you want, rather than the future you fear.

Fill your mind with images of a desired future and use your mind to plan the steps to achieve that future. This gives you a blueprint upon which you can make purposeful and enjoyable choices today that can influence desired outcomes tomorrow.

You can influence the direction of your future by choosing the images you feed your mind today. Choose what you want, rather than worrying about what you don’t want. This increases your happiness and reduces your stress.

Continue Learning about Stress

Positive-Thinking Exercises to Undo Stressful Thoughts
Sometimes the noise from inside our own heads is the biggest stressor of all. But here's the phrase that can turn things around for you: "My mind is c...
7 Ways Stress Can Harm Your Body
7 Ways Stress Can Harm Your Body7 Ways Stress Can Harm Your Body7 Ways Stress Can Harm Your Body7 Ways Stress Can Harm Your Body
Americanns’ stress levels seem to be declining compared to seven years ago, according to a 2014 survey by the American Psychological Association....
Who Handles Stress Better, Men or Women?
What Is Stress and Why Should I Be Concerned About It?