How do my perceptions influence my stress level?

Stress is influenced by both the individual and the environment.

Each of us defines what situations we see as stressful and how we respond to the stress. Both positive and negative situations can be stressful. Change almost always is. How stressful we perceive it to be depends on how good or harmful we find it to be and what else is going on in our lives. Something can feel stressful one day and not the next.

What is really important when it comes to stress is not what happens to you, but how you perceive what happens to you. For example, one person might find riding a rollercoaster exhilarating, whereas another may find it terrifying. Both will feel stress from the event, but one will feel good stress, called "eustress" for the euphoric reaction, and the other will feel bad stress, or "distress." An extrovert may love to go to parties, finding working the crowd or meeting new people fun and relaxing, but an introvert may find it draining. The level of stress you feel has a lot to do with your personality, and your subjective interpretation of what is happening to you. While you can't change your personality, you can change many of your perceptions, especially by actively working to cultivate a positive attitude. And that positive attitude can help you stay young by reducing stress and the effects of stress.
The RealAge Makeover: Take Years off Your Looks and Add Them to Your Life

Why not live at 60 feeling like you did at 35?Thousands of Americans are younger today than they were five years ago. How is that possible? By following the specific recommendations that reverse...

Continue Learning about Stress

Zap the Aging Effects of Stress in 14 Minutes
Few things speed the aging process like chronic stress. It's like adding fuel to an already capable fire. So take a few minutes to undo the damage. I...
Why do I want to eat unhealthy foods when I'm stressed out?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
When stress hits, cortisol hormone tells our brains that we are hungry, so we then seek out food. "S...
8 Stress Relief Tricks ER Doctors Swear By
8 Stress Relief Tricks ER Doctors Swear By8 Stress Relief Tricks ER Doctors Swear By8 Stress Relief Tricks ER Doctors Swear By8 Stress Relief Tricks ER Doctors Swear By
Try these expert-approved tips the next time you're feeling overwhelmed. There are few places more stressful than an emergency room (ER). Doctors must...
Can Stress Really Cause Cancer?
Can Stress Really Cause Cancer?