How often do I need a day of rest?

Michael B. Finkelstein, MD
Be sure to take a full day of rest, once a week. In some cultures, the day of rest is called a "Sabbath." It is an ancient religious practice for Jews, Muslims and Christians. It's also a traditional ritual for indigenous people who recognize the necessity to put down the shovel, once every seven days.

Think of this day as giving you formal permission to say “no” to anything you don’t love to do and “yes” to everything that nurtures you, such as reading a book on the couch, playing in the water at the beach or attending a theater performance.

Consider staying away from your computer and turning off your phone during your day of rest. This practice will help soothe your entire nervous system and bring your whole being back into alignment.

Continue Learning about Stress

A Healthy Way to Handle Everyday Stress
A Healthy Way to Handle Everyday Stress
An aggravating work email; a spat with your spouse; the dog gets sick, making you late for work … While ...
Can stress make me age faster?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
Aging spurts are the result of thousands of complex hormonal changes in the body. When the body is e...
12-Step Stress Management Plan
12-Step Stress Management Plan12-Step Stress Management Plan12-Step Stress Management Plan12-Step Stress Management Plan
Learn how to keep chronic stress from aging your body.
How Important Is Stress Management to Brain Health?