How can I minimize stress by sometimes forgoing fun activities?

Dr. Vonda Wright, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
Minimizing stress on a day-to-day basis means saying no, even to fun things, if they increase the burden of your life. At least once per week I say, "Let's have a party, let's have people over." In my packed life, I do not get to see the friends I care about nearly enough, and I long to see them. After an evening of friends and laughter, I am always relaxed and recharged. Putting it all together, however, adds stress. Try to live daily with an attitude of, "I choose to/not to," instead of giving up control and feeling like, "I have to." Along the same lines, it is okay not to bake the cookies for school from scratch, to say no to a new project or committee, or to blow off the tickets you bought for a concert in lieu of a quiet night at home.
Dr. Vonda Wright's Guide to Thrive: 4 Steps to Body, Brains, and Bliss

Dr. Wright unfolds her Guide to Thrive by preparing readers for six remarkable months of body, brains, and bliss transformation, using her framework of the four practical steps. As a scientist and...

Continue Learning about Stress

Feeling Sad? Let the Tears Flow
Feeling Sad? Let the Tears Flow
In a recent group support session, an active and generous participant choked up with emotion as she spoke of the anniversary of her husband’s passing....
How can charity work help reduce stress?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
Have you ever signed up to volunteer in community events? Have you ever offered your time and expert...
9-Step Plan to Control Your Anger
9-Step Plan to Control Your Anger9-Step Plan to Control Your Anger9-Step Plan to Control Your Anger9-Step Plan to Control Your Anger
Keep your cool with these helpful coping strategies. Overreacting to anger doesn't help anyone. Not the driver you're swearing at. Not your friends o...
Got Adult ADHD? Try This Relaxation Technique