How can I lower my child's stress level?

When you plan or oversee your child’s schedule, keep in mind your child’s temperament. Some children need familiar and predictable environments. They thrive on established routines. Other children love spontaneity and change. While one child will be stressed by too much variance from a daily routine, another child will be stressed when held too tightly to a daily regimen. If you have more than one child, you’ll likely find differences in stress-causers for each child. Be careful about imposing a one-schedule-fits-all routine.

To help prevent unnecessary stress in your child, be sure to fit in time for relaxation and unstructured play. It may be tempting to rush from school to soccer to theater to homework to bedtime, but day after day of that kind of schedule will eventually result in stress for your child. Plan for down times. Times for your child to explore, create, play quietly in his or her bedroom, read, or just “veg.”

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Stress

How Caretakers Can Manage Stress with Journal Writing
New Age writer and self-help author Natalie Goldberg has said “Whether you’re keeping a journal or writing as meditation, it’s the same thing. What’s ...
What are the signs that my loved ones are worried about my stress level?
Dede BonnerDede Bonner
Does this sound familiar? Friends and family have pleaded with you, asking for nothing more than a s...
8 Stress Relief Tricks ER Doctors Swear By
8 Stress Relief Tricks ER Doctors Swear By8 Stress Relief Tricks ER Doctors Swear By8 Stress Relief Tricks ER Doctors Swear By8 Stress Relief Tricks ER Doctors Swear By
Try these expert-approved tips the next time you're feeling overwhelmed. There are few places more stressful than an emergency room (ER). Doctors must...
What Is the Importance of Spending Time With Myself?