How can I elicit the relaxation response (RR) in my body?

You can learn to evoke the relaxation response (RR) using many techniques. These include meditation, prayer, deep breathing, yoga, tai chi, and a variety of other techniques, such as mindfulness, imagery, and progressive muscle relaxation. All of these techniques have two basic components. First is focusing attention through repetition of a word, prayer, phrase, or physical activity; second is passively disregarding everyday thoughts when they occur and returning to the repetition. The common denominator in all of these methods is that they attempt to break the train of everyday thought and disengage the stress response.

If the RR is evoked regularly, the effects tend to carry over. The same stressors no longer have the same impact on us. Some women refer to the RR as "rolling with the punches." A regular RR practice of 20 minutes a day is required to achieve the maximum benefits.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause

FROM THE EDITORS OF THE CLASSIC "BIBLE OF WOMEN'S HEALTH," A TRUSTWORTHY, UP-TO-DATE GUIDE TO HELP EVERY WOMAN NAVIGATE THE MENOPAUSE TRANSITION For decades, millions of women have relied on Our...

Continue Learning about Stress

Are You Working Yourself to Death?
Are You Working Yourself to Death?
Americans throw away an estimated 415 million vacation days every year. That's 1.6 million years of unused vacation! Have we lost our minds? Chronic s...
What can I do when my partner and I are both dealing with stress?
When both you and your partner are dealing with stress, it's important to learn to recognize the sig...
What are the health benefits of sex?
Sex, especially in a loving, secure relationship (no fear, no anxiety, no "is he going to call me?" ...
How Does Stress Affect COPD?
How Does Stress Affect COPD?