How does stress affect my nails?

Nails are not resistant to stress of the physical kind. Brittle, peeling nails also are a common side effect of traumatic stress, chiefly the kind caused byrepeated wetting and drying, and chronic exposure to detergents, water, tolueneand formaldehyde in polish, and harsh solvents (like those found in nail polishremover). Other factors could also be at play, including genes, poor diet, andunderlying medical conditions. Let’s not forget the fact many try to cope withpsychological stress by self-inflicting hair and nail problems (skin, too) that gobeyond what I would normally expect from stress alone. For example, how manyof us find ourselves rigorously biting or picking at our nails when we are nervous,anxious, or stressed out maximally? How many of us pick at our skin or consistentlytouch and play with acne and flare-ups? Do you pull on your hair to thepoint you feel a few strands fall out? It’s important to note these habits and takesteps to avoid engaging in these beauty-busting behaviors. Like the eyes, nails cansay a lot about your health and how well you take care of yourself.

From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler.

Continue Learning about Stress

What is the difference between chronic and acute stress?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
Acute stress is an immediate problem.  An argument with a friend or not doing well on a test.  This ...
What is acute stress?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
Acute stress is anything you perceive as an immediate threat. Acute stress is your normal mental...
How Can Drinking Tea Help Relieve Stress?
What Is Stress and Why Should I Be Concerned About It?