How does commuting cause stress?

Dr. Kathleen Hall
Preventive Medicine
Every day millions of us spend hours in our automobiles. Thirty-four percent of Americans spend 30 minutes or more on their daily commute. That's over 250 hours per year! Five days a week, morning and evening, we race for the best seat on the train, the last spot on the bus, the fastest lane on the highway, the choicest parking space in the lot. Increasingly, we can feel angry and frustrated at others for being in our way; at worst, we can feel victimized, out of control, insignificant.

These psychological dynamics can lead to higher blood pressure, higher levels of stress hormones, and serious consequences for our family, our relationships, and our work. Road rage is on the rise, and research suggests that the more stress drivers feel during their morning commute, the more problems they have in the workplace.
Alter Your Life: Overbooked? Overworked? Overwhelmed?

Themes like “I just don’t have time” and “I’m exhausted” rule our lives today. We are overbooked, overworked and overwhelmed. Just getting done what must be done fills our days. The...

Continue Learning about Stress

How to Stay Healthy When Your Job Disappears
It sounds like heresy when you're furiously trying to find work, but roll with this for a minute: Turn off your phone, computer, and TV for 20 minutes...
Is stress an illness?
While stress is not considered an illness, it can cause specific medical symptoms, sometimes serious...
12-Step Stress Management Plan
12-Step Stress Management Plan12-Step Stress Management Plan12-Step Stress Management Plan12-Step Stress Management Plan
Learn how to keep chronic stress from aging your body.
What Is Stress and Why Should I Be Concerned About It?