How does basil help fight stress?

Holy basil, or tulsi, is considered one of the most important herbs in ayurveda. It is used for many different conditions, but its ability to fight stress has led modern herbalists to label it as an adaptogen. Adaptogens are a class of herbs that help the body fight stress by reducing the production of stress hormones that result in the fight-or-flight response.   

To help counteract the stresses of modern life, you can grow a holy basil plant in your home and eat a leaf daily. It has an aromatic taste similar to the basil plant commonly used in Western cooking. It is most often consumed as a tea made of dried holy basil leaves, which is available at health food stores as tulsi tea. It can also be taken in pill form.

Continue Learning about Stress

Are You Working Yourself to Death?
Are You Working Yourself to Death?
Americans throw away an estimated 415 million vacation days every year. That's 1.6 million years of unused vacation! Have we lost our minds? Chronic s...
What does stress do to our bodies?
Stress puts your body in high gear so you can swerve to avoid that close call on the highway or plow...
I Deleted My Instagram—Plus 7 Other Things That Calmed Me Down
I Deleted My Instagram—Plus 7 Other Things That Calmed Me DownI Deleted My Instagram—Plus 7 Other Things That Calmed Me DownI Deleted My Instagram—Plus 7 Other Things That Calmed Me DownI Deleted My Instagram—Plus 7 Other Things That Calmed Me Down
I never realized how anxious I was until my phone analyzed the stress in my voice.
How Can Energy Management Help Stress and Performance?