How does basil help fight stress?

Holy basil, or tulsi, is considered one of the most important herbs in ayurveda. It is used for many different conditions, but its ability to fight stress has led modern herbalists to label it as an adaptogen. Adaptogens are a class of herbs that help the body fight stress by reducing the production of stress hormones that result in the fight-or-flight response.   

To help counteract the stresses of modern life, you can grow a holy basil plant in your home and eat a leaf daily. It has an aromatic taste similar to the basil plant commonly used in Western cooking. It is most often consumed as a tea made of dried holy basil leaves, which is available at health food stores as tulsi tea. It can also be taken in pill form.

Continue Learning about Stress

How can I reduce my stress levels as a parent?
Dr. Polly Dunn, PhDDr. Polly Dunn, PhD
One of the quickest ways to reduce stress is to learn how and when to say no! If you’re feeling over...
How Can I Help Prevent Stress from Affecting My Weight Loss?
Why Do I Often Feel More Stressed Out at Home Than I Do at Work?
Is Stress Good or Bad for Athletes?
Is Stress Good or Bad for Athletes?