How can I cope up with stress?

There are many ways to deal with stress. Aerobic exercise and meditation are commonly accepted methods. For some, involvement in activities that help other people, work with pets and animals and engagement in the arts are helpful. Perhaps as importantly, avoiding the quick fixes to make you feel better such as drugs, alcohol, and overeating will keep you from making the problem worse.

Stress management techniques can help us change our reactions to those circumstances over which we have little to no control, find more balance in our lives, and become more resilient. We can take care of our emotional well-being in many ways: we may call a friend, go for a walk, cry, go to church, take karate lessons, make love, garden, seek spiritual guidance, watch a funny movie, protest an injustice, or cook.

Women have practiced calming rituals such as prayer, meditation, yoga, drumming, dance, and tai chi for thousands of years. These practices continue to offer us wonderful ways to release emotion; connect to our minds, bodies, and spirituality; and reach a state of relaxation.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause

FROM THE EDITORS OF THE CLASSIC "BIBLE OF WOMEN'S HEALTH," A TRUSTWORTHY, UP-TO-DATE GUIDE TO HELP EVERY WOMAN NAVIGATE THE MENOPAUSE TRANSITION For decades, millions of women have relied on Our...

Continue Learning about Stress

Call on Your Smartphone to Reduce Stress
Next time somebody tells you, "My smartphone is stressing me out!" -- the e-mails, the 24/7 social networking, the constant beep of incoming text mess...
What is the Sharecare App?
Erik FeingoldErik Feingold
The Sharecare App is a lifestyle solution that translates your daily events (e.g. stress, sleep, rel...
10 Healthy Ways to Handle Excess Stress
10 Healthy Ways to Handle Excess Stress10 Healthy Ways to Handle Excess Stress10 Healthy Ways to Handle Excess Stress10 Healthy Ways to Handle Excess Stress
From exercise to meditation, here are 10 ways to manage unchecked stress.
How Can My Romantic Relationship Affect My Health?