How can I relieve stress quickly?

In the heat of the moment, at peak periods of high intensity, you should be able to pull a quick stress-busting behavior out of your bag of tricks. Our suggestions:
  • Scrunch your face tightly for fifteen seconds, then release. Repeat several times. This repetitive contraction and relaxation helps release tension you’re holding above the neck.
  • Breathe in, lick your lips, then blow out slowly. The cool air helps you refocus and slow down. If your lips get too chapped, you can just breathe in, hold for 3 seconds, and breathe out slowly over several more seconds. Sit up tall when you do it. You’re actually getting more oxygen to brain cells that way, and giving your body a nice time out.
  • Cork it. Hold a wine cork (don’t uncork the bottle yourself, bucko) vertically between your teeth. Gently biting the cork forces your jaws (a major holder of tension) to relax.

Continue Learning about Stress

What is stress?
Aila AccadAila Accad
There are two kinds of stress, distress and eustress. Distress is the kind that results in deteriora...
How can I plan for the future without worrying?
Aila AccadAila Accad
Worry is a learned mental habit. Daily conversations and media speculations about possible disasters...
As a Mom, How Can I Find Time to Exercise?
What Are Symptoms of Stress?
What Are Symptoms of Stress?