How can I relieve stress quickly?

Here are a few great strategies to de-stress quickly:

1.  Take 5 minutes and write down 3 things you're greatful for.  Gratitude generates positive emotions which lower your heart rate and reduce stress.

2.  Breathe in for a count of 5 and exhale for a count of 5.  Repeat.

3.  Read funny quote or a good joke.  I'm a recovering lawyer and used to keep a book of lawyer jokes by my desk for stressful moments. (It came it quite handy A LOT!)

In the heat of the moment, at peak periods of high intensity, you should be able to pull a quick stress-busting behavior out of your bag of tricks. Our suggestions:
  • Scrunch your face tightly for fifteen seconds, then release. Repeat several times. This repetitive contraction and relaxation helps release tension you’re holding above the neck.
  • Breathe in, lick your lips, then blow out slowly. The cool air helps you refocus and slow down. If your lips get too chapped, you can just breathe in, hold for 3 seconds, and breathe out slowly over several more seconds. Sit up tall when you do it. You’re actually getting more oxygen to brain cells that way, and giving your body a nice time out.
  • Cork it. Hold a wine cork (don’t uncork the bottle yourself, bucko) vertically between your teeth. Gently biting the cork forces your jaws (a major holder of tension) to relax.

Continue Learning about Stress

The Power of a Pause to Improve Your Work and Life
We set up our itinerary so we could see and do as much as possible in eight days. I kept feeling like I was seeing everything, but nothing was being a...
Can high stress levels cause cheilitis?
High stress levels has been linked to exfoliative cheilitis. This type of cheilitis can be caused by...
9-Step Plan to Control Your Anger
9-Step Plan to Control Your Anger9-Step Plan to Control Your Anger9-Step Plan to Control Your Anger9-Step Plan to Control Your Anger
Keep your cool with these helpful coping strategies.
Is Stress Good or Bad for Athletes?
Is Stress Good or Bad for Athletes?