How can I reduce stress in the afternoon?

Michael B. Finkelstein, MD
To reduce stress in the afternoon, take two or three minutes to write down five things for which you are grateful. Be sure to write them down, instead of just mentally noting them. The act of writing will drive home the positive messages. Doing this is a powerful way to help you shift perspective. Your gratitude can be as simple as having a roof over your head or food in your stomach. They can be phrased as, “I love my dog” or “I am happy the sun is out.” Taking time to pause and reflect on the many gifts in your life -- which you may take for granted -- will help you stay resilient and relax after a stressful day.

Continue Learning about Stress

A Healthy Way to Handle Everyday Stress
A Healthy Way to Handle Everyday Stress
An aggravating work email; a spat with your spouse; the dog gets sick, making you late for work … While ...
How can I manage stress?
Mercy HealthMercy Health
To avoid feeling stressed, broken and not in control of your life, take charge and make some changes...
7 Ways Stress Can Harm Your Body
7 Ways Stress Can Harm Your Body7 Ways Stress Can Harm Your Body7 Ways Stress Can Harm Your Body7 Ways Stress Can Harm Your Body
Stress isn't just bad for your mental health—it can harm your physical health as well. Learn how, plus smart strategies to help you take control.
5 Things Organized People Can’t Live Without