How can I improve on my usual methods of dealing with stress?

Dede Bonner
Health Education

Ask yourself, “What is my preferred antidote to stress? How destructive or constructive is it?” Another way of asking this question may be, “What is my favorite poison?” Although some people find smart solutions to stress, like physical activities, favorite hobbies, fun vacations, or playing with their kids, most of us also have destructive behavior patterns that we use as stress reducers.

Harvard University’s cardiac specialist Dr. Daniel Forman comments, “Our ways of dealing with stress are often self-destructive, like overeating, smoking, or watching TV.” Dr. Herbert Benson adds, “The intensity of a person’s fight-or-flight response to stress is determined by that individual’s interpretation of its meaning.”

Ask yourself whether there is any substance or food that you would have trouble living without. You’ll probably immediately consider cigarettes, alcohol, chocolate, bread, or coffee. These addictive stimulants and foods provide short-term energy boosts but can add to your long-term health problems and stress.

A good indication of the impact these substances or foods have on you is what happens when they are withdrawn. For example, many people get headaches when their bodies are deprived of caffeine.

However, such symptoms are usually followed by a feeling of lightness and increased energy as the body is freed from the burden of coping with the toxins created by these substances. Just ask anyone who has successfully quit smoking.
The 10 Best Questions for Living with Fibromyalgia: The Script You Need to Take Control of Your Health

A good mind knows the right answers...but a great mind knows the right questions. And never are the Best Questions more important than after the life-altering diagnosis of fibromyalgia -- or when you...

Continue Learning about Stress

Are You Working Yourself to Death?
Are You Working Yourself to Death?
Americans throw away an estimated 415 million vacation days every year. That's 1.6 million years of unused vacation! Have we lost our minds? Chronic s...
When does stress cross the line from being helpful to harmful?
In a lot of ways, stress is good. It's the physiological mechanism that helps us function. It helps ...
12-Step Stress Management Plan
12-Step Stress Management Plan12-Step Stress Management Plan12-Step Stress Management Plan12-Step Stress Management Plan
Learn how to keep chronic stress from aging your body.
What Is the Human Performance Institute?