How does the body react to stress in survival situations?

William B. Salt II., MD
Gastroenterology
The body's stress response system -- mediated through the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis and the secretion of epinephrine and cortisol -- was really designed to handle short term, life threatening, physical survival risks. The hypothalamus of the limbic system sends chemical and nerve signals to the pituitary gland, which then communicates with the adrenal glands that sit on top of the kidneys. Some of the signals sent through the HPA activate certain glands or organs and some of the signals inhibit or suppress certain glands or organs. This is the initial step of the stress response.

If you were really being chased by a raging tiger, you would be grateful to have the fight-or-flight good stress response on your side. Its nerve cell firing and chemical messengers would mobilize release of energy from storage sites to supply contracting muscles, increase heart rate and blood pressure in order to circulate blood throughout the body and suppress functions not necessary for your immediate survival, such as digestion. Survival is more important than digesting your lunch!
Irritable Bowel Syndrome & the MindBodySpirit Connection: 7 Steps for Living a Healthy Life with a Functional Bowel Disorder, Crohn's Disease, or Colitis (Mind-Body-Spirit Connection Series.)

Fast Facts on IBS: One in five people suffers from the frustrating symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). There is no simple answer--no pill, potion, or quick fix--that will cure IBS. But help...

Continue Learning about Stress

Tame Stress To Avoid Belly Fat
Tame Stress To Avoid Belly Fat
Everyday events can cause you to feel stressed -- and that’s not all bad. Brief blasts of stress can focus your attention and motivate you, and there’...
What are the three categories of stress?
In general, life's stressors can be grouped into three categories, which all have different implicat...
I Deleted My Instagram—Plus 7 Other Things That Calmed Me Down
I Deleted My Instagram—Plus 7 Other Things That Calmed Me DownI Deleted My Instagram—Plus 7 Other Things That Calmed Me DownI Deleted My Instagram—Plus 7 Other Things That Calmed Me DownI Deleted My Instagram—Plus 7 Other Things That Calmed Me Down
I never realized how anxious I was until my phone analyzed the stress in my voice.
How Can a Stress Journal Help Me Identify Stressors?