How can being aware of my thought patterns help me?

Our perceptions and interpretations affect our experiences. Sometimes, we react automatically to things that happen to us with negative thoughts. Learning to be aware of our thought patterns and developing skills to reframe our thoughts may help us cope better. Reversing pessimistic thoughts may start with asking yourself some basic questions: Does this thought contribute to my stress? Is this a logical thought? Is thinking this way helpful to me? Is this thought true?

If you develop skills to reframe your thoughts with a more positive twist, you may sometimes be able to shift from recoiling from "threats" to rising to "challenges." Listening to your thoughts can help in identifying defeatist ideas.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause

FROM THE EDITORS OF THE CLASSIC "BIBLE OF WOMEN'S HEALTH," A TRUSTWORTHY, UP-TO-DATE GUIDE TO HELP EVERY WOMAN NAVIGATE THE MENOPAUSE TRANSITION For decades, millions of women have relied on Our...

Continue Learning about Stress

The Health Benefits of Decluttering
The Health Benefits of Decluttering
When you're so stressed you can't think straight, take a quick look around. See lots of clutter? Consider it a sign. In her book, The Superstress Sol...
Positive-Thinking Exercises to Undo Stressful Thoughts
Sometimes the noise from inside our own heads is the biggest stressor of all. But here's the phrase that can turn things around for you: "My mind is c...
What is the Sharecare App?
Erik FeingoldErik Feingold
The Sharecare App is a lifestyle solution that translates your daily events (e.g. stress, sleep, rel...
Does stress permanently alter my breathing patterns?
Pam GroutPam Grout
Breathing does resume its natural state once the fear or the stress is gone, it tends to not quite g...