How can I avoid work stress while on vacation?

Vacation should be a relaxing and rejuvenating break. But doing this can be difficult if you are connected by phone, text, email and social networking 24 hours a day. I recommend designating a person to cover your responsibilities at work while on vacation. Therefore, you may completely disconnect from all digital interactions related to work. This will allow greater ability to relax and avoid work stress.
To avoid work-related stress while you're on vacation, leave laptops, tablets and other electronic distractions at home, if you can. Disable the mobile data connection on your smartphone to save money on your monthly data bill and to save yourself from unwanted disruptions. To give yourself more room to transition between work and vacation modes, schedule an extra day off before you travel to wind down and take care of any last-minute work problems, as well as an extra day off once you get home to go through emails.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Stress

5 Stress Busters With a Huge Health Bonus
Feeling tense? You’re not alone. Thanks to too many bills, too much to do, relationship conflicts and health problems, one in four Americans say they’...
How can I reduce stress in my life?
Mercy HealthMercy Health
Even though it may seem hard to find ways to reduce stress in your life with all the things you have...
7 Ways Stress Can Harm Your Body
7 Ways Stress Can Harm Your Body7 Ways Stress Can Harm Your Body7 Ways Stress Can Harm Your Body7 Ways Stress Can Harm Your Body
Stress isn't just bad for your mental health—it can harm your physical health as well. Learn how, plus smart strategies to help you take control.
Why Do I Often Feel More Stressed Out at Home Than I Do at Work?