What are some of the health risks of stress?

Harris H. McIlwain, MD
Rheumatology

Stress has been linked to an increased risk of the following diseases:

• allergies, asthma, and hay fever
  • backaches
  • cancer
  • heart disease
  • high blood pressure
  • migraine headaches
  • stroke
  • TMJ (temporomandibular joint) syndrome
  • tension headaches
  • peptic ulcer disease
Unofficial Guide to Impotence

Unofficial Guide to Impotence

The Unofficial Guide to Conquering Impotence delivers the inside scoop on impotence: the truth about Viagra, what treatments really work, and how lifestyle changes can aid in conquering...

You don't have to be an MD to know that stress can cause headaches, sleep problems, appetite problems (too much usually, but too little, also), and other psychological problems like depression and anxiety. That's not even considering the fact work stress has been linked to gastrointestinal problems, hormonal problems, immune problems, an increased risk of stress health risks, stress side effects, stress causes psychological problems, metabolic syndrome(that's obesity, high blood pressure, high lousy and low healthy cholesterol levels, and high blood sugar), as well as a six-fold higher risk of having a heart attack.

YOU: Being Beautiful: The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Stress

Is Your Stress Harming Your Health?
Is Your Stress Harming Your Health?
We know that smoking and distracted driving can post serious health risks, but could stress be dangerous too? Everyone feels stress from time to time....
How powerful are ancient stress management techniques?
Alice DomarAlice Domar
It depends on how you use them! A lot of what we now teach under the umbrella of modern and effectiv...
8 Stress Relief Tricks ER Doctors Swear By
8 Stress Relief Tricks ER Doctors Swear By8 Stress Relief Tricks ER Doctors Swear By8 Stress Relief Tricks ER Doctors Swear By8 Stress Relief Tricks ER Doctors Swear By
Try these expert-approved tips the next time you're feeling overwhelmed.
How Can I Change My Response to Stress?
How Can I Change My Response to Stress?