How can stress affect my hair?

Hormonal changes from acute stress can cause hair follicles to go into a period of shedding called telogen effluvium. This type of shedding is a normal process and often follows acute events such as delivering a baby, when hormones are changing. An acute stressful event can also trigger this change.

Stress has a profound effect on hair. A traumatic emotional or physical event can screw up your hair’s growth cycle, which means that about three months after the major stress, you might pull out clumps of hair while brushing or washing. Most people grow the hair back once the trauma has passed, but it can take months. Stress can also cause hair to turn gray. The tendency to go gray is mostly genetic, but if you have chronic stress in your life, it sure isn't helping.

Continue Learning about Stress

Busy Woman’s Guide: An ER Doc’s Tips for Keeping Your Cool
I’ll never forget the day I learned the meaning of stress in the Emergency Room (ER). A massive multi-car accident brought in many patients, pulling a...
How are stress and cardiovascular disease related?
Chippenham Hospital - HCA VirginiaChippenham Hospital - HCA Virginia
The association of mental stress and cardiovascular disease prognosis is well established, and menta...
12-Step Stress Management Plan
12-Step Stress Management Plan12-Step Stress Management Plan12-Step Stress Management Plan12-Step Stress Management Plan
Learn how to keep chronic stress from aging your body.
What Is the Connection Between Stress and Obesity?