As a mother, what relaxation techniques can I use when I'm stressed?

Michele Borba
Deep abdominal breathing, meditation, and prayer are proven to help moderate stress and help the body relax. Best yet, you can also teach the tension-relieving strategies to your kids!

Use slow, deep breaths. Inhale slowly to a count of five, pause for two counts, and then slowly breathe out the same way, again counting to five. Repeating the sequence creates maximum relaxation. (Using bubble blowers or pinwheels help younger kids learn to take slow deep breaths to blow "meanies" away).

Try elevator breathing. Close your eyes, slowly breath out three times, then imagine you're in an elevator on the top of a very tall building. Press the button for the first floor and watch the buttons for each level slowly light up as the elevator goes down. As the elevator descends, your stress fades away.

Get some yoga on. Adolescents credit yoga as teaching relaxation and breath control. So why not do it with your daughter? Purchase a yoga DVD that you can do at home together.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Stress

Stressed -- or Depressed?
Stressed -- or Depressed?
April is Stress Awareness Month, but we should all be more aware and in control of our stress levels every day. While a little stress may be good for ...
How can stress affect my breast milk supply?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Stress can block the letdown reflex and reduce milk flow. Your milk supply can change during the d...
12-Step Stress Management Plan
12-Step Stress Management Plan12-Step Stress Management Plan12-Step Stress Management Plan12-Step Stress Management Plan
Learn how to keep chronic stress from aging your body.
Relax to Tame Inflammation
Relax to Tame Inflammation