As a mother, what relaxation techniques can I use when I'm stressed?

Michele Borba
Deep abdominal breathing, meditation, and prayer are proven to help moderate stress and help the body relax. Best yet, you can also teach the tension-relieving strategies to your kids!

Use slow, deep breaths. Inhale slowly to a count of five, pause for two counts, and then slowly breathe out the same way, again counting to five. Repeating the sequence creates maximum relaxation. (Using bubble blowers or pinwheels help younger kids learn to take slow deep breaths to blow "meanies" away).

Try elevator breathing. Close your eyes, slowly breath out three times, then imagine you're in an elevator on the top of a very tall building. Press the button for the first floor and watch the buttons for each level slowly light up as the elevator goes down. As the elevator descends, your stress fades away.

Get some yoga on. Adolescents credit yoga as teaching relaxation and breath control. So why not do it with your daughter? Purchase a yoga DVD that you can do at home together.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Stress

Zap the Aging Effects of Stress in 14 Minutes
Few things speed the aging process like chronic stress. It's like adding fuel to an already capable fire. So take a few minutes to undo the damage. I...
Lose Weight by Dealing with Financial Stress
Are you gaining weight? Having trouble losing? We have an unusual diet tip to get you on the fast track to a slimmer you: Quit worrying about money. ...
How can I use stress to my advantage?
Eric OlsenEric Olsen
The key to coping with stress and living successfully and healthfully in our stress-filled world...
5 Ways to Avoid Holiday Heartburn and Indigestion