Why may I need a rapid strep test for strep throat?

A rapid strep test is very useful in helping your doctor determine if the cause of your symptoms is strep throat (the doctor cannot always tell by history and physical examination alone). Many things can cause sore throats and other symptoms that may be similar to those of strep throat. Because the treatments for strep throat differ from treatments of sore throats due to other causes, it is important that the doctor be as sure as possible before prescribing therapy.

You may need a rapid strep test so your doctor can make a formal diagnosis of strep throat. Typically rapid strep testing is ordered when the clinical presentation and examination are inconclusive (in the middle) to make a diagnosis of strep throat.

Continue Learning about Strep Throat

How do I manage my strep throat?
Diana K. Blythe, MDDiana K. Blythe, MD
Managing your strep throat starts with getting tested so you know if you have strep throat or simply...
Should I talk to a doctor about my strep throat symptoms?
Strep throat will need medical treatment to keep it from turning into a more serious illness, like r...
How to Prevent and Treat Strep Throat
How to Prevent and Treat Strep Throat
Nurse Patty Describes the Symptoms of Strep Throat