Why may I need a rapid strep test for strep throat?

You may need a rapid strep test so your doctor can make a formal diagnosis of strep throat. Typically rapid strep testing is ordered when the clinical presentation and examination are inconclusive (in the middle) to make a diagnosis of strep throat.

A rapid strep test is very useful in helping your doctor determine if the cause of your symptoms is strep throat (the doctor cannot always tell by history and physical examination alone). Many things can cause sore throats and other symptoms that may be similar to those of strep throat. Because the treatments for strep throat differ from treatments of sore throats due to other causes, it is important that the doctor be as sure as possible before prescribing therapy.

Continue Learning about Strep Throat

How should I interpret the results of a rapid strep test for strep throat?
Rapid strep test results are either positive or negative. A positive test usually implies that antib...
How is strep throat distinguished from other throat disorders?
Strep throat is caused by an infection of a group of bacteria called A streptococcus. Doctors can pi...
How is strep throat diagnosed?
To diagnose strep throat, your doctor will look at your throat and tonsils to see if the tonsils are...
How to Prevent and Treat Strep Throat
How to Prevent and Treat Strep Throat