When is a strep titer considered to be abnormal, or "elevated"?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Since each lab measures titers in different ways, it is important to know the range used by the laboratory where the test was done – just ask where they draw the line between negative or positive titers.

It is important to note that some grade-school aged children have chronically "elevated" titers. These may actually be in the normal range for that child, as there is a lot of individual variability in titer values. Because of this variability, doctors will often draw a titer when the child is sick, or shortly thereafter, and then draw another titer several weeks later to see if the titer is "rising" – if so, this is strong evidence that the illness was due to strep. (Of course, a less expensive way to make this determination is to take a throat culture at the time that the child is ill.).

This answer is based on source  information from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.

Continue Learning about Strep Throat

Is my son's enlarged lymph node normal after a diagnosis of strep throat?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
It is good that you are watching your son's recovery carefully. Right now, this sounds like a normal...
Should I talk to a doctor about my strep throat symptoms?
Strep throat will need medical treatment to keep it from turning into a more serious illness, like r...
What can I do to help prevent strep throat?
To prevent spreading strep throat, avoid sharing cups, utensils and toothbrushes with others. Good h...
Should an elevated strep titer be treated with antibiotics?
No. Elevated titers indicate that a patient has had a past strep exposure but the titers can not tel...