When can my child return to school after strep throat?

The Strep germ is very contagious (passes easily from one person to another). Your child should not go to school or be around other children until he is fever free for 24 hours and on antibiotics for 24 hours. This helps stop the Strep germ from spreading to other children.

Strep throat can spread to others in the family. Anyone living in your home that develops symptoms of a sore throat in the next five days should see a doctor for a throat culture.

Continue Learning about Strep Throat

What are the symptoms of strep throat in children?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
“About a third of school-aged children’s sore throats are caused by the ‘strep’ bacteria,” says Ryan...
What can I do to help prevent strep throat?
To prevent spreading strep throat, avoid sharing cups, utensils and toothbrushes with others. Good h...
Nurse Patty Describes the Symptoms of Strep Throat
How to Prevent and Treat Strep Throat
How to Prevent and Treat Strep Throat