What should I do if I suspect my child has strep throat?

A child is more likely to have strep throat if he or she has been in contact with somebody with known strep and has a fever and white spots on the tonsils. It is somewhat less likely if the child has other complaints, such as runny nose, cough or sneezing. If there is concern, he or she should see the doctor for testing and possible treatment.
“Take your child to his or her doctor if you suspect strep throat. Symptoms may include fever, nausea, vomiting, swollen lymph glands, enlarged tonsils and red and white patches in the throat, but the definitive way to diagnose strep is through a throat swab to test for the bacteria,” says Ryan Coller, M.D., associate director of the pediatric residency training program at Mattel Children’s Hospital UCLA.

Continue Learning about Strep Throat

How is strep throat distinguished from other throat disorders?
Strep throat is caused by an infection of a group of bacteria called A streptococcus. Doctors can pi...
Can adults get strep throat?
Yes, adults can get strep throat. Because strep throat is caused by bacteria that are passed throu...
How to Prevent and Treat Strep Throat
How to Prevent and Treat Strep Throat
Nurse Patty Describes the Symptoms of Strep Throat