Should I talk to a doctor about my strep throat symptoms?

Strep throat will need medical treatment to keep it from turning into a more serious illness, like rheumatic fever (inflammatory disease). Contact your doctor if you are showing signs of strep. Since strep throat may seem like a viral illness on the surface, your doctor will want to confirm the diagnosis with laboratory tests such as a throat swab or culture.

Continue Learning about Strep Throat

What is strep throat?
Strep throat is a sore throat caused by streptococcal bacteria. It is more common in children ages f...
How is strep throat diagnosed?
Dr. Diana K. Blythe, MDDr. Diana K. Blythe, MD
Strep throat is diagnosed by a swab of the throat. A rapid strep test is performed on this swab. Whi...
Nurse Patty Describes the Symptoms of Strep Throat
How to Prevent and Treat Strep Throat
How to Prevent and Treat Strep Throat