How serious an illness is strep throat?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Strep throat, on its own, can usually be treated with antibiotics and, therefore, does not turn into a serious illness. But those who have had strep throat and have not sought out medical intervention, may be susceptible to complications. The bacteria that cause strep throat can also infect other areas of the body and cause swelling of the kidney and rheumatic fever that can affect joints and event the heart.

Continue Learning about Strep Throat

How long does strep throat in children last?
Strep throat in children generally lasts for about a week (two to seven days). The symptoms can be s...
How do I manage my strep throat?
If you have strep throat, make sure you take the antibiotics your doctor prescribed according to the...
What can I do to help prevent strep throat?
To prevent spreading strep throat, avoid sharing cups, utensils and toothbrushes with others. Good h...
What are the symptoms of strep throat in children?
CareNowCareNow
Common symptoms of strep throat in children include the following: sore throat fever lack of co...