How is strep throat spread?

Strep throat is a highly contagious infection (spreading easily) caused by Streptococcal bacteria. The bacteria are present in the saliva and nasal drainage of infected people. The bacteria spread when someone infected with strep throat shares food or drinks with others or coughs and sneezes, releasing the bacteria into the air.

Continue Learning about Strep Throat

When can my child return to school after strep throat?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
The Strep germ is very contagious (passes easily from one person to another). Your child should not ...
Why do I keep getting white patches on my tonsils?
If you have white patches on your tonsils, you may have strep throat. Strep is short for the bac...
How to Prevent and Treat Strep Throat
How to Prevent and Treat Strep Throat
Nurse Patty Describes the Symptoms of Strep Throat