How long does strep throat in children last?

Strep throat in children generally lasts for about a week (two to seven days). The symptoms can be severe, causing levels of discomfort during swallowing that make a child not want to eat. Other symptoms include redness and white patches in the throat, swollen lymph nodes and fever. If the sore throat lasts longer than a week, it was most likely not caused by Streptococcal bacteria and may be virus related.

Continue Learning about Strep Throat

How do I manage my strep throat?
If you have strep throat, make sure you take the antibiotics your doctor prescribed according to the...
How is strep throat distinguished from other throat disorders?
Strep throat is caused by an infection of a group of bacteria called A streptococcus. Doctors can pi...
What can I do to help prevent strep throat?
To prevent spreading strep throat, avoid sharing cups, utensils and toothbrushes with others. Good h...
Is my son's enlarged lymph node normal after a diagnosis of strep throat?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
It is good that you are watching your son's recovery carefully. Right now, this sounds like a normal...