How should I interpret the results of a rapid strep test for strep throat?

Rapid strep test results are either positive or negative. A positive test usually implies that antibiotics should be given. A test may be inaccurate if a poor sample was obtained or a lab error occurred. If there is question that the test was wrong, a culture can be obtained, which takes longer to get results.

Continue Learning about Strep Throat

Why may I need a rapid strep test for strep throat?
A rapid strep test is very useful in helping your doctor determine if the cause of your symptoms is ...
Should an elevated strep titer be treated with antibiotics?
No. Elevated titers indicate that a patient has had a past strep exposure but the titers can not tel...
Nurse Patty Describes the Symptoms of Strep Throat
How to Prevent and Treat Strep Throat
How to Prevent and Treat Strep Throat