How should I interpret the results of a rapid strep test for strep throat?

Rapid strep test results are either positive or negative. A positive test usually implies that antibiotics should be given. A test may be inaccurate if a poor sample was obtained or a lab error occurred. If there is question that the test was wrong, a culture can be obtained, which takes longer to get results.

Continue Learning about Strep Throat

What is strep throat?
Strep throat is a sore throat caused by streptococcal bacteria. It is more common in children ages f...
When can my child return to school after strep throat?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
The Strep germ is very contagious (passes easily from one person to another). Your child should not ...
How to Prevent and Treat Strep Throat
How to Prevent and Treat Strep Throat
Nurse Patty Describes the Symptoms of Strep Throat