How should I interpret the results of a rapid strep test for strep throat?

Rapid strep test results are either positive or negative. A positive test usually implies that antibiotics should be given. A test may be inaccurate if a poor sample was obtained or a lab error occurred. If there is question that the test was wrong, a culture can be obtained, which takes longer to get results.

Continue Learning about Strep Throat

Is my son's enlarged lymph node normal after a diagnosis of strep throat?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
It is good that you are watching your son's recovery carefully. Right now, this sounds like a normal...
How long does strep throat in children last?
Strep throat in children generally lasts for about a week (two to seven days). The symptoms can be s...
Can adults get strep throat?
Yes, adults can get strep throat. Because strep throat is caused by bacteria that are passed throu...
Why do I keep getting white patches on my tonsils?
If you have white patches on your tonsils, you may have strep throat. Strep is short for the bac...