Can strep throat be prevented?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

In order to prevent strep throat, you need to avoid catching it. Since strep throat is due to a contagious bacterial infection, it is best to wash your hands often, especially after being in crowded areas or around children. You should also wash down surfaces and objects that have been touched by an infected person in your home or at work. Finally, don't allow a contagious child to attend school or public functions until 24 hours after being on antibiotics. This way you can prevent others from getting the infection.

Continue Learning about Strep Throat

Is my son's enlarged lymph node normal after a diagnosis of strep throat?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
It is good that you are watching your son's recovery carefully. Right now, this sounds like a normal...
How should I interpret the results of a rapid strep test for strep throat?
Rapid strep test results are either positive or negative. A positive test usually implies that antib...
Is flesh-eating bacteria (Streptococcus pyogenes) related to strep throat?
The common bacteria that can develop into flesh-eating bacteria is in the same family of bacteria as...
How to Prevent and Treat Strep Throat
How to Prevent and Treat Strep Throat