What is strength training?

Rose Reisman
Strength training doesn't have to mean bulking up. It has to do with developing muscle definition, strength, and increasing your metabolic rate. The traditional method of weight training is to perform multiple sets of each exercise to build muscle. It's now believed that you should do a single set of each exercise with ten to fifteen repetitions or working to fatigue. Choosing a heavier weight and doing only one set of twelve repetitions will give you the same results and save you time. When the exercise gets easy, it's time to increase the weights.

Here are a few muscle strengthening exercises:
  • Free weights or weight equipment
  • Pilates or yoga
  • Fitness or medicine ball and bands
  • Core-strengthening exercises
Rose Reisman's Secrets for Permanent Weight Loss: With 150 Delicious and Healthy Recipes for Success

For the journey toward healthier living. Losing weight can be a constant and frustrating struggle. Rose Reisman's Permanent Weight Loss Solutions creates a blueprint for lifelong weight control that...
David Slovik, MD
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
Technically, strength or resistance training takes place any time your muscles face a stronger-than-usual counterforce. Typically it employs equipment such as weight machines, free weights, and resistance bands or tubing. Not only does strength training protect against bone loss, it also builds muscle and improves your body's ratio of lean muscle mass to fat. As a result, it deserves an important place in your exercise routine.

Continue Learning about Strength Training & Exercise

Keeping that Muscle Magic
Keeping that Muscle Magic
While it’s great if you were active and built your muscles when you were young, you need to stay pumped up, too. Around age 30, muscle mass star...
What are the most important tips for strength training?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Here are some tips for doing strength training exercises:Be sure you talk to your healthcare provide...
What are FITT guidelines for strength training?
FITT stands for Frequency or how many times per week you are doing the exercise. I, stands for inten...
Will Strength Training Increase My Metabolism?