What are the most important tips for strength training?

Chris Embry
Fitness

• Always maintain proper form.  Never sacrifice proper form just to increase the weight.

• Be progressive.  Track your workouts using a training log. Try to beat your log by either increasing the weight or the number of reps the next time you perform that workout.  Doing one more rep with the same weight is still progressing.  Small, incremental progression adds up over time.  If you are not progressive with your workouts, you are not giving your body a reason to grow and adapt.

The most important tip I can give you will be to focus on form.  Focusing on form will help to prevent injury and will help to give you full benefit from the exercise you are completing.  Not having proper form can lead to injury and an injury will be a setback and prevent you from reaching your goals in the time frame you set.  Also, be sure to complete exercises that hit multiple muscle groups, try to avoid isolation on each exercise.  Get the most bang for your buck!

Here are some tips for doing strength training exercises:
  • Be sure you talk to your healthcare providers before starting any strength training program.
  • Work different muscle groups each training session to prevent injury. Each week, try to work all your major muscle groups -- don't just focus on one part of the body.
  • Don't hold your breath while lifting weights. Exhale (breathe out) during the harder part of each movement. Inhale (breathe in) during the easier part.
  • Listen to your body. If any exercise feels unsafe or painful, stop and reduce the weight or intensity.

Continue Learning about Strength Training & Exercise

Tone Your Muscle to Preserve Your Mind
Tone Your Muscle to Preserve Your Mind
Lindsey Vonn, the Olympic skier, challenged a flock of celebs at the 2013 Met Gala, saying they were half her weight but skinny fat, pointing out they...
How many total sets should I do during my strength training?
The number of sets you perform is completely dependent on your goals and your physical capabilities....
Easy At-Work Exercises for Nurses
Easy At-Work Exercises for NursesEasy At-Work Exercises for NursesEasy At-Work Exercises for NursesEasy At-Work Exercises for Nurses
No time for the gym? Tone trouble spots during your shift with these moves. At the end of a long shift, hitting the gym may sound like the last thing ...
Will Strength Training Increase My Metabolism?