What should I know before I try weightlifting?

David Buer
Fitness
The first thing you should do is see your physician for a physical exam. You need to make sure your body is healthy enough and prepared to take on weightlifting as a regular part of your exercise routine.
Next, find a qualified fitness professional in your area. A certified professional can evaluate your body’s strengths and weaknesses and uncover any muscular imbalances. Professional trainers will work within your budget to walk you step-by-step through a weightlifting program that is ideal for your needs, goals and body type. The National Academy of Sports Medicine or NASM has thousands of certified sports professionals worldwide.

Continue Learning about Strength Training & Exercise

Strength Training Without Injury
Strength Training Without Injury
Since Arnold Schwarzenegger flaunted his bulging biceps and quads in the 1977 docudrama "Pumping Iron," the rule of thigh (if not thumb) has been that...
How do I determine my one-rep maximum weight?
Dr. Vonda Wright, MDDr. Vonda Wright, MD
To find your one-rep maximum, if you are using a weight machine, simply keep increasing the weight u...
Easy At-Work Exercises for Nurses
Easy At-Work Exercises for NursesEasy At-Work Exercises for NursesEasy At-Work Exercises for NursesEasy At-Work Exercises for Nurses
No time for the gym? Tone trouble spots during your shift with these moves.
How Can I Perform Strength Training Exercises Safely?