What is a good exercise to strengthen my knees?

Scott D. Martin, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
Here are some knee-strengthening exercises:

Straight-leg raise: To protect your knees, do this exercise to strengthen your quadriceps, the large muscle in the front of your thigh. Lie on your back and tighten the thigh muscles of one leg with your knee fully straightened. Lift your leg several inches and hold for 10 seconds. Lower slowly. Repeat until your thigh feels fatigued, then switch to the other leg.

Wall sit: This exercise also strengthens the quadriceps. While standing with your back against the wall, bend your knees, lowering yourself into a sitting position. Do not lock your knees. Hold this position for 20 seconds. Repeat.
Edward Phillips
Physical Therapy
Here's how to do chair stands with staggered legs to strengthen knees:

Reps: 10 per leg
Sets: 1-3
Intensity: Moderate to hard
Tempo: 3-1-3
Rest: 30-90 seconds between sets

Starting position: Sit up straight near the front edge of a chair with your arms crossed and fingers touching opposite shoulders. Position your feet hip-width apart and stagger them by moving your right foot forward.

Movement: Smoothly stand up with your knees and hips pointing straight ahead. Pause, then return to the starting position. Finish all reps before repeating with the left foot forward. This completes one set.

Tips and techniques:
  • Maintain neutral posture throughout the movement.
  • Tighten the muscles in your abdomen and buttocks.
  • Exhale as you lift up.
Too hard? Line up your feet evenly, hip-width apart, in the starting position.

Too easy? Lift your arms over your head. Keep your shoulders down and back throughout the move.

Continue Learning about Strength Training & Exercise

Is Weight Lifting a Natural Appetite Suppressant?
Sure, strength training and aerobic exercise can help you work off those extra calories. But it might also help you say no to them in the first place....
How much weight should I use for strength training?
Edward PhillipsEdward Phillips
For strength training, it's wise to have a selection of light weights (1, 2, and 3 pounds) and resis...
Easy At-Work Exercises for Nurses
Easy At-Work Exercises for NursesEasy At-Work Exercises for NursesEasy At-Work Exercises for NursesEasy At-Work Exercises for Nurses
No time for the gym? Tone trouble spots during your shift with these moves.
How Can I Perform Strength Training Exercises Safely?