What are the benefits of weight training if I have multiple sclerosis (MS)?

Strength training has shown to have significant positive effects on individuals with many types of chronic disease. Some studies show that strength training does help clients with MS, but the data is very limited. It is suggested to speak with your physician or qualified health care professional to discuss how strength training can help MS.

There is some research showing that weight training may be able to help with endurance in some people with multiple sclerosis (MS). The studies looked at heavier weights with fewer repetitions. On the other hand, many people with MS do suffer from nerve fiber fatigue. This means that the demyelinated nerve fiber stops conducting electrical information with repetitive use or with increases in core body temperature. This results in a temporary increase in symptoms like weakness or numbness. This situation would not likely be helped by weight training. It's tough to know in a given individual with MS what the best exercise plan will be. It may take working with a physical therapist to come up with the best exercise program.

Continue Learning about Strength Training & Exercise

Get a Grip on Good Health
Get a Grip on Good Health
“Get a grip on yourself!” snaps Victoria Brisbane (Madeline Kahn) to Dr. Richard Thorndyke (Mel Brooks) in High Anxiety, Brooks’ 1977 riotous parody o...
How can I incorporate weight training in my workouts?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
Sometimes the best form of weight training is body weight training.  Yes, your body can at times be ...
Easy At-Work Exercises for Nurses
Easy At-Work Exercises for NursesEasy At-Work Exercises for NursesEasy At-Work Exercises for NursesEasy At-Work Exercises for Nurses
No time for the gym? Tone trouble spots during your shift with these moves.
The Right Way to Lift Weights
The Right Way to Lift Weights