What are the benefits of adding chains to my workout?

Chains increase the amount of weight lifted while performing the concentric or “up” portion of a lift. For example as you stand up out of a squat, more of the chain will be lifted off the floor increasing the total amount of weight being lifted. Since most people tend to be weakest during the concentric portion of a lift, chains help improve concentric strength.

Brooke Randolph
Marriage & Family Therapy
While working out with chains may benefit you with the imagery of toughness and raw power, there are some physical benefits to adding chains to your workout as well. Adding chains to weights that you are already lifting will increase the weight at the end of a lift, maximizing contraction. Chains draped or wrapped on your body can add weight and resistance to push ups, sit ups, wall sits, and more. For those with limited funds or limited space, adding chains to a push up can simulate a bench press without the presence of a bench or a bar.

Continue Learning about Strength Training & Exercise

Tone Your Muscle to Preserve Your Mind
Tone Your Muscle to Preserve Your Mind
Lindsey Vonn, the Olympic skier, challenged a flock of celebs at the 2013 Met Gala, saying they were half her weight but skinny fat, pointing out they...
How can I fit strength training into my schedule?
Michael Herring - Elite TrainerMichael Herring - Elite Trainer
One excuse I hear from my patients is 'when I get home from work I don't have time to exercise.' And...
Easy At-Work Exercises for Nurses
Easy At-Work Exercises for NursesEasy At-Work Exercises for NursesEasy At-Work Exercises for NursesEasy At-Work Exercises for Nurses
No time for the gym? Tone trouble spots during your shift with these moves.
How Strength Training Helps Your Health
How Strength Training Helps Your Health