Will lifting weights make me look muscle-bound?

Many women fear that lifting weights will make them look like an Eastern European shot putter. Understandable concern (though I have nothing against Eastern European track and field athletes), but somewhat of a mistaken one. Adding muscle - by doing strength training - doesn't mean that you're going to develop arms the size of Hummers or legs the size of redwoods. Why? Muscle requires something else to feed it to really bulk up. That substance? Androgens, which are relatives of testosterone, cause muscle fibers to grow. They're the reason men get bulky when they build muscle and women can lift weights and still remain Jaguar-like sleek.
So if what you're trying to do is just tone, shape, and tighten, you can still lift weights and do resistance training.

You: Being Beautiful - The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

No, lifting weights will not make you look muscle-bound as long as you maintain balance in your workouts. Be sure to utilize each of the major muscle groups (eg. Legs, back, shoulders, chest, arms, and abs). People that are muscle bound exercise one muscle group disproportionately to the rest of the body. If you maintain balance in your workouts, you will maintain proportion and look great!

Continue Learning about Strength Training & Exercise

Can a person use interval-training techniques when strength training?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
Most trainers don’t recommend combining cardiovascular intervals with strength training. They note t...
How soon will I start to notice strength increases?
Although you may not see changes in muscles size for roughly 4 to 6 weeks of training, strength gain...
How do I perform strengthening exercises?
Ben KaminskyBen Kaminsky
For a strengthening workout, start with a weight that can be easily lifted 10 times, with the last t...
How should I do military presses?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
Military presses are commonly done by men, but many women can benefit from doing it, too, but using ...