Should I talk to my doctor about starting a strength training program?

Yes, before starting any type of training program you should consult your physician and submit to a thorough physical to make sure your body is healthy enough to perform a weight training program and if any modifications may need to be made to reduce the risk of injury to you. If your physician clears you for resistance training programs consult a certified personal trainer to help you devise a sound program to maximize performance.

Before starting any exercise regimen, it is important to consult your doctor to confirm that you are fit for exercise. Speak to your doctor about how to begin slowly, what options might be best for your current physical condition, and which activities you should avoid. In addition to helping you maintain muscle health, strength training can help reduce your risk of joint injury, deal with chronic illness, battle fatigue, and help you sleep, control weight, and improve your overall well-being.

Continue Learning about Strength Training & Exercise

Get a Grip on Good Health
Get a Grip on Good Health
“Get a grip on yourself!” snaps Victoria Brisbane (Madeline Kahn) to Dr. Richard Thorndyke (Mel Brooks) in High Anxiety, Brooks’ 1977 riotous parody o...
What are the benefits of adding chains to my workout?
Chains increase the amount of weight lifted while performing the concentric or “up” portion of a lif...
Easy At-Work Exercises for Nurses
Easy At-Work Exercises for NursesEasy At-Work Exercises for NursesEasy At-Work Exercises for NursesEasy At-Work Exercises for Nurses
No time for the gym? Tone trouble spots during your shift with these moves.
Lift Weights to Lose Weight
Lift Weights to Lose Weight