Should I talk to my doctor about starting a strength training program?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Before starting any exercise regimen, it is important to consult your doctor to confirm that you are fit for exercise. Speak to your doctor about how to begin slowly, what options might be best for your current physical condition, and which activities you should avoid. In addition to helping you maintain muscle health, strength training can help reduce your risk of joint injury, deal with chronic illness, battle fatigue, and help you sleep, control weight, and improve your overall well-being.

Yes, before starting any type of training program you should consult your physician and submit to a thorough physical to make sure your body is healthy enough to perform a weight training program and if any modifications may need to be made to reduce the risk of injury to you. If your physician clears you for resistance training programs consult a certified personal trainer to help you devise a sound program to maximize performance.

Continue Learning about Strength Training & Exercise

How should I do military presses?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
Military presses are commonly done by men, but many women can benefit from doing it, too, but using ...
Will lifting weights make me bulky?
When we think about muscles, we tend to think about really big ones (Hulk Hogan) or really nice ones...
How do I do strength training?
I remember the strengthening exercises, and the rules for them, by the mnemonic INEEDIT. The basic r...
What are the benefits of performing each rep slowly when weight lifting?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
When weight training, super-slow reps increase the mind-muscle connection and can give your workout ...