How much resistance should I use in my strength training program?

The amount of sets you should perform per workout for your resistance training exercises depends on what goal you are trying to achieve and your level of resistance training experience. For example, to improve endurance it is recommended to perform 1-3 sets per exercise per workout; to improve strength it is recommended to perform 2-6 sets per exercise per workout; and to improve power it is recommended to perform 3-6 sets per exercise per workout. Regardless of the desired goal, it has been suggested that to prevent overtraining, no more than 24 to 36 total sets should be performed per workout; however, for a beginner to resistance training this number may be as low as 5-12 total sets.

Continue Learning about Strength Training & Exercise

Strength Training? Start with 5
Strength Training? Start with 5
Sometimes it's hard to know how much weight is enough when you're trying to build a little muscle. Rule of thumb: Don't start with anything higher th...
Why is strength training important to my position as a guard?
Aaron Nelson Aaron Nelson
Strength training is important for all positions of basketball, but for your position as a guard, yo...
Easy At-Work Exercises for Nurses
Easy At-Work Exercises for NursesEasy At-Work Exercises for NursesEasy At-Work Exercises for NursesEasy At-Work Exercises for Nurses
No time for the gym? Tone trouble spots during your shift with these moves.
Keep These Limbs and Joints Strong
Keep These Limbs and Joints Strong