How much resistance should I use in my strength training program?

The amount of sets you should perform per workout for your resistance training exercises depends on what goal you are trying to achieve and your level of resistance training experience. For example, to improve endurance it is recommended to perform 1-3 sets per exercise per workout; to improve strength it is recommended to perform 2-6 sets per exercise per workout; and to improve power it is recommended to perform 3-6 sets per exercise per workout. Regardless of the desired goal, it has been suggested that to prevent overtraining, no more than 24 to 36 total sets should be performed per workout; however, for a beginner to resistance training this number may be as low as 5-12 total sets.

Continue Learning about Strength Training & Exercise

Keeping that Muscle Magic
Keeping that Muscle Magic
While it’s great if you were active and built your muscles when you were young, you need to stay pumped up, too. Around age 30, muscle mass starts dec...
Why should I hold weights with an open-hand grip?
Sadie LincolnSadie Lincoln
Holding with a light grip and reaching through the fingers creates length in the arms and helps ...
What are FITT guidelines for strength training?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
The FITT acronym can remind you to slightly alter the Frequency, Intensity, Time (duration), and Typ...
Why shouldn't I hold my breath while lifting weights?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
Blood pressure increases during weight training, especially during the negative phase of a repetitio...