How much weight should I use for strength training?

Edward Phillips
Physical Therapy
For strength training, it's wise to have a selection of light weights (1, 2, and 3 pounds) and resistance tubing or bands (light through medium resistance).

Select the highest weight or level of resistance that allows you to accomplish all of the following:
  • maintain good form throughout the exercise
  • stick to the specified tempo
  • complete the suggested number of reps and sets
  • achieve a full and pain-free range of motion
Wait until you find it easy to meet all four requirements before you increase the weight or resistance for a particular exercise. If it's difficult to meet any of the four, decrease the weight or resistance.

Continue Learning about Strength Training & Exercise

Tone Your Muscle to Preserve Your Mind
Tone Your Muscle to Preserve Your Mind
Lindsey Vonn, the Olympic skier, challenged a flock of celebs at the 2013 Met Gala, saying they were half her weight but skinny fat, pointing out they...
What is a mid-back exercise that I can do at home?
Diane Armstrong, NASM Elite TrainerDiane Armstrong, NASM Elite Trainer
Middle Back ShrugLie face down on an incline bench while holding a dumbbell in each hand. Your arms ...
Easy At-Work Exercises for Nurses
Easy At-Work Exercises for NursesEasy At-Work Exercises for NursesEasy At-Work Exercises for NursesEasy At-Work Exercises for Nurses
No time for the gym? Tone trouble spots during your shift with these moves.
The Right Way to Lift Weights
The Right Way to Lift Weights