How should I vary my strength training routine?

There are a variety of ways you can vary your strength training routines. This includes switching from machines to free weights, from barbell to dumbbell exercises, high repetition to low repetition, upper body to lower body, push then pull programs, lifting at a slow tempo vs. a high tempo. Making any one of these variations or multiple variations can provide enough variety in your training to allow your body to continue to get results and improvements from your workouts.

Every few weeks, vary the number of repetitions and sets you do and the rest periods between sets. Or, if you usually use weight machines, try free weights or other types of strengthening activities such as exercises that use elastic tubing or your body as resistance. Healthy people should choose eight to 10 different exercises that involve major muscle groups, performing one set of each exercise two to three days a week, regardless of age.

Continue Learning about Strength Training & Exercise

Reach for the Tiny Weights
Reach for the Tiny Weights
Don't knock yourself out with super-heavy lifting. You can make your muscles bigger and stronger by pumping the little stuff. You just have to lift i...
Should I talk to my doctor about starting a strength training program?
Yes, before starting any type of training program you should consult your physician and submit to a ...
How can I strengthen my hips?
Edward PhillipsEdward Phillips
Here's how to do quadruped single leg lifts to strengthen hips: Reps: 10 on each side Sets: 1-3 I...
How Strength Training Helps Your Health
How Strength Training Helps Your Health