How do I strengthen my lower abs?

To strengthen your lower abdomen, try the knee lift exercise:

Start by standing up straight with your feet together. Hold on to a chair for extra balance. This is the starting position.
  • Keep your back straight.
  • Slowly raise your left knee to your chest, or as far up as possible.
  • Slowly lower your left leg back to the starting position.
  • Slowly raise your right knee to your chest, or as far up as possible.
  • Slowly lower your right leg back to the starting position.
  • Repeat this set of movements 5 times.

A great exercise to strengthen the lower abs is the knee-up.  Perform the knee-up by following the technique described below.  Lie with your back on the floor or on a flat bench with your hips bent at a 90 degree angle.  Next, grab a stable object for support, and while keeping the hips bent at a 90 degree angle extend the legs into the air.  Make sure to draw-in your belly and contract your glutes.  Last, lift your hips off of the floor or bench, reaching your feet up towards the ceiling.  Slowly return to the starting position and repeat as necessary.  To increase the difficulty of this exercise it can be performed on a stability ball or decline bench as well.  Alternatively, if this exercise is too challenging, a reverse crunch is another beneficial exercise that will target the lower abs.

Continue Learning about Strength Training & Exercise

How many days a week should I focus on strength training?
Research on training frequency indicates that the optimum training frequency for improvements in str...
How should I do an adduction exercise?
Dr. Vonda Wright, MDDr. Vonda Wright, MD
Here's how to do an adduction exercise: 1. While lying on your side, brace your abdomen. 2. Be...
How should I do a bench press?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Always use a spotter when using a bench press to lift weights. Your hands should be a little more th...
How much resistance should I use in my strength training program?
The amount of sets you should perform per workout for your resistance training exercises depends on ...