How can I add strength training to my exercise routine?

Examples of ways to add strength training to your exercise routine are:
  • Resistance bands and tubes. These are highly portable, safe, and inexpensive. They're especially good for lighter resistance training.
  • Weight training machines. These come in a wide variety and are available at gyms and recreation centers.
  • Weights. You can work many different muscle groups with a simple pair of hand weights or ankle weights.
  • Body weight movements. You can do exercises like push-ups, knee-bends, and sit-ups almost anywhere, without expensive equipment.
  • Strength training programs and classes. Many fitness centers, recreation centers, and health clubs offer programs and classes that include strength training.

Continue Learning about Strength Training & Exercise

Keeping that Muscle Magic
Keeping that Muscle Magic
While it’s great if you were active and built your muscles when you were young, you need to stay pumped up, too. Around age 30, muscle mass star...
What is a good exercise to strengthen my knees?
Scott D. Martin, MDScott D. Martin, MD
Here are some knee-strengthening exercises:Straight-leg raise: To protect your knees, do this exerci...
What are the benefits of adding chains to my workout?
Chains increase the amount of weight lifted while performing the concentric or “up” portion of a lif...
"No Pain, No Gain" Doesn't Apply to Strength Training