How should I do an adduction exercise?

Lay on your side, keeping your core engaged legs straight out in front of the body.  Bend your top leg and place it in front of your bottom leg with your heel on the floor. Raise your lower leg off the floor, keeping your core engaged and your shin in line with your second and third toes and contracting your inner leg muscles as you lift the leg off the ground.  Repeat the leg lift ten times, then switch to the other side.
Dr. Vonda Wright, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
Here's how to do an adduction exercise:

1. While lying on your side, brace your abdomen.

2. Bend your top knee and place your top foot in front of your bottom knee.

3. Raise your lower leg off the floor. Do not let your trunk bend backward.

4. Concentrate on keeping your core engaged, and feel this on the inside of your lower leg.

5. Repeat the leg lift ten times, then switch to the other side.
Fitness After 40: How to Stay Strong at Any Age

It's one of the undeniable facts of life. After we reach a certain age, our bodies change. No matter how fit we may have been at 20, we're very different people after 40. But growing older doesn't...

Continue Learning about Strength Training & Exercise

How should I start strength exercises?
Michelle Theis , NASM Elite TrainerMichelle Theis , NASM Elite Trainer
A good place to start strength training is by simply using your own body weight and depending on you...
Why have my strength gains slowed down with each workout?
Without a doubt, strength gains come very quickly for most when they first begin an exercise pro...
What should I know before I try weightlifting?
David BuerDavid Buer
The first thing you should do is see your physician for a physical exam. You need to make sure your ...
Will Strength Training Increase My Metabolism?