How many exercises total do I need to do when working on strength?

You need to do a total of 1-4 exercises per body part depending on individual ability level. The beginning individual can do one to two exercises per body part. The intermediate individual could perform two to three exercises per body part while the advanced individual could perform two to four exercises per body part. Keep in mind that the number of exercises you choose per body part will also depend on the load and volume of training you're doing during that particular workout. For example, if the advanced individual is doing a "light day" (lighter weights, more repetitions), they could do more exercises (closer to 4) per body part as the stresses are not so great. However, if they are doing a "heavy day" (heavy weight, more sets), then they may do closer to 2-3 exercises. This will help in making sure they don't overdo it in their workout which over time can lead to injury.

Continue Learning about Strength Training & Exercise

Get a Grip on Good Health
Get a Grip on Good Health
“Get a grip on yourself!” snaps Victoria Brisbane (Madeline Kahn) to Dr. Richard Thorndyke (Mel Brooks) in High Anxiety, Brooks’ 1977 riotous parody o...
How many total sets should I do during my strength training?
Jeff Croswell , NASM Elite TrainerJeff Croswell , NASM Elite Trainer
Your total sets are really going to be based on what your goals are.  Now if you are a beginner to s...
Easy At-Work Exercises for Nurses
Easy At-Work Exercises for NursesEasy At-Work Exercises for NursesEasy At-Work Exercises for NursesEasy At-Work Exercises for Nurses
No time for the gym? Tone trouble spots during your shift with these moves.
Undo Neck Pain With Strength Training
Undo Neck Pain With Strength Training