How intense should my strength training routine be?

Intensity of a strength workout depends on how long the workout is and how many times a week you perform it. Intensity of a workout and length of a workout, or volume are inversely related which means as one increases the other must decrease. If your workout intensity is very high, volume or number of sets and reps you perform must be low. Since high intensity workouts are very taxing the amount of time you need to rest increase which means fewer workouts per week. As volume or frequency of workouts increase how intense each workout is must decrease.

You don't have to break your back to get benefits. Research shows that lighter weight loads and fewer reps can be just as effective at building muscle as heavier loads and higher reps are. Work large muscle groups first, and allow at least 48 hours between strength-training sessions.

Continue Learning about Strength Training & Exercise

6 Reasons Why Women Should Weight Train
6 Reasons Why Women Should Weight Train
When we think of muscles, we think of Popeye, not twiggy Olive Oyl. But building and maintaining muscle mass is even more important for women. We all ...
What are examples of strength training exercises?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Here are some examples of strength training exercises:Shoulder press:Begin with your elbows bent and...
5 Moves to Tone Your Bat Wings (aka Arm Flab)
5 Moves to Tone Your Bat Wings (aka Arm Flab)5 Moves to Tone Your Bat Wings (aka Arm Flab)5 Moves to Tone Your Bat Wings (aka Arm Flab)5 Moves to Tone Your Bat Wings (aka Arm Flab)
Tighten your triceps—and more—with these proven fat fighters.
Will Strength Training Increase My Metabolism?